A Word of Explanation

Welcome to my political commentary blog. I figured I’d use this introduction to explain how I arrived at writing this blog. I grew up as a Conservative Republican and went through college and law school essentially holding to those beliefs. Being an Evangelical Christian as well, I would have been considered a member of the Religious Right. However, over the last few years, I became increasingly disillusioned by the Republican party. For instance, I believe in conservative fiscal policy, so I could not agree with continuing massive tax cuts aimed at the wealthiest Americans while the country had a serious budget deficit which was only increasing due to fighting two wars. I am also a firm believer in the rule of law, so I took issue with the Bush administration using the cloak of national security to deny habeas corpus rights. Finally, the politics of fear & division used by the Bush political team, turned me off. Especially, their use of the War in Iraq, which I now believe was a major mistake.

In 2008, this caused me to do what 5 years before, I would have thought to be the unthinkable – I voted for a Democrat for President. In supporting Barack Obama and since I am an advocate by trade, I decided to write a political essay setting forth my rationale. I enjoyed the process so much, I was looking for an outlet to continue my political thoughts. When my cousin started a personal blog, it gave me the idea to start a political commentary blog.

Like the name suggests, I still consider my self a conservative as many of my political stands are conservative, but I definitely have a more progressive line of thinking. You should see both sides come out as I post. Some of the posts will be more analysis while others will be more editorial and take a position. I look forward to any feedback. Let me know if there is a topic you would like me to discuss (see my contact info at the bottom of this page).

Karl

Saturday, October 6, 2012

State of the Race – October 6 (Debate Recap)


I want to start this post off with a large disclaimer - while the first president-ial debate was held Wednes-day night, the results of the debate and any impact on polling will not show up until next week due to the lag time of when polls are conducted and when they are reported. With that in mind, let's look at this week's polling. There have been 49 polls done in 23 different states, including 29 polls done in 10 of the 11 battleground states that I've identified previously (PA is the only battleground without new data). With the new polling, here's the current breakdown:


Safe
Likely
Lean
Total
Obama
179
86
38
303
Romney
131
60
0
191
Tossup



44

If you want to see how I arrived at these categories, I would encourage you to review the first “State of the Race” post I did on August 11 which can be found here. The photo above gives a visual breakdown of which side each states fall on. For a list of which states fall in which categories, I provide the following chart:


Safe
Likely
Lean
Obama
CA, CT, DE, DC, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, RI, VT, WA
MI, MN, NM, OH, OR, PA, WI
CO, IA, NV, NH, VA
Romney
AL, AK, AR, GA, ID, KS, KY, LA, MS, ND, OK, SD, TX, UT, WV, WY
AZ, IN, MO, MT, NE, SC, TN

Tossup
FL, NC

Here are the changes from last week: NONE!!

That's right, there have been no changes in where states fall over the past seven days. There are many pundits who have suggested that even before the conventions, the polling in this race was already very rigid and this pointed to an electorate which had already made up its mind. The lack of any movement in the polls from last week to this week seems to support this theory. However, this will get tested as we look at the polls at this time next week to see if Wednesday night's presidential debate dramatically changes the status of the race.

This brings us to the debate itself. It was clear to me that Mitt Romney won the night. He was aggressive and went after the President and critiqued President Obama's record, while the President was not sharp in his responses. While the President did critique Governor Romney's plans, when Romney defended them, the President did not hold him to the specifics of the plan that he has previously laid out. All this made it look like Obama was trying to avoid his opponent and it seemed like he was trying to play things too safe. Afterwards, I used the analogy of basketball when one team has a lead and tries running out the clock while the other employs pressure to try and catch up. As the polls were clearly in the President's favor going into the debate, he just didn't want to do anything that would surrender that lead which resulted in him appearing like he was running out the clock and playing it safe. In the meantime, Governor Romney knew he was behind and employed a full-court press to try and score some points. Whether these strategies work will only be known once we see polling done after the debate.

Even though President Obama did poorly in the debate, I would once again point to the 2004 election as a way to alleviate any fears of the Democrats. As I pointed out last week, in 2004 the first debate set up very similarly as President Bush enjoyed a lead in the polls going into the first debate. However, when he met Senator Kerry in the first debate, it was clear that Kerry won the debate and in fact, President Bush came across as being annoyed that he even had to be there. In other words, I think this continues to feed my theory that this election is 2004 all over again. In that case, Bush had the opportunity to put Kerry away in the first debate and failed. As a result, the election was very close, but President Bush did narrowly win his second term. As I've said since I began doing this analysis, I fully expect this race to get a lot closer, but if I had to guess, I would still lean towards President Obama winning a second term.

How Wednesday night's debate changes the trajectory of this race remains to be seen, but tune in next week to find out if it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment